Wednesday, October 5, 2011

{Spilt Milk}

I had a lot of issues in the beginning when it came to nursing H. She never did learn to latch but I pumped for over a month in hopes that she would catch on. In that time she was fed exclusively breast milk and I was proud of myself for trying as hard as I did. When my milk started to dry up and I started having to supplement with formula I was devastated. The first bottle of formula I fed her was before bed one night. It was dark and while she ate, I cried. It didn't take long before I had no more milk to give and she became a formula baby. It took me A LONG time to be okay with that.

At her 9 month checkup my doctor told me to finish up my tin of formula and start her on real milk. I questioned him, thinking she wasn't supposed to have "real milk" until a year, but he assured me it was okay and that she was ready. I continued to buy formula.



Tonight, before bed, H had her first bottle of real milk. It was dark and while she ate, I cried.

Don't cry over spilt milk, huh? pft.

5 comments:

Bobi AKA Stacey said...

No need to cry! You are a great mother, and you did a great thing by feeding her breast milk, a great thing by feeding her formula, and a great thing by listening to your doctor!

No need to cry over spilt milk. Unless it sinks into your hardwoods, which happened to us a few months ago. Then you may cry.

CanadianMama said...

No one understands how hard this is unless they too have had to formula feed when they wanted to nurse. It's tough - I feel your pain!

My first was a champ when it came to nursing so I never understood how hard it could really be. But my baby sucked (I was still using lanolin at 5 months) and now he is weaning himself.

It's sad to know when your baby starts to grow up. BUT, this is only your first. You will have another chance (if you have more babies that is). That was my last chance. Big Hugs!!

The Tompkins Family said...

Such a beautiful post.

Staceyb8 said...

You made me have a tear about your spilt milk... <3

*m* said...

D- awww when you told me that H had her first real milk I didn't evn think about it like this. THe good news is that despite life effing over your best intentions and ideas the most important part is that miss H has the best ma'ma that a girl could ever want :)

PS- can't wait to see the post on the first day she drives away all on her own :P