Friday, November 25, 2011

{365 days ago [Part 2]...}

I had a good nights sleep in the labour room from about 12-7 when my doctor arrived and did an internal exam/fluid test. She said I was 1cm dilated at this point and that yes, it was infact my water that was broken. I clarified that this meant I would not be leaving the hospital without a baby and she assured me that was the case. She told me that I had until 9am for my contractions to start again and if they didn't start on their own by that point, I would be induced. I phoned my mom and sister in the Okanagan and told them to get on the road.

It all began to sink in. I sent C to the car to get "the bag". I texted our parents, our friends, and updated FB (of course, Ha!). I had some breakfast, went for a walk, and grew more and more nervous by the second. At 9am I was still feeling great, still no contractions. I was hooked up to the machine, induced and monitored. It only took about 10 minutes after the induction for my contractions to start again and they started strong. About 3 minutes apart. After monitoring me for an hour to make sure H was handling the induction well, I was removed from all monitors and instructed to walk. I walked, and walked, and walked and walked. By 12 that afternoon I was still only 1cm, but my cervix had softened and the contractions were 2 minutes apart, lasting about a minute. I was beginning to get pretty uncomfortable but I was set on having a natural labour and delivery. By 330 I was 4cms and around 6pm I was 5cms. H was still not engaged and my full waters had not broken. The doctor broke the rest of my waters at about 9pm and I instantly went to 6cms and H dropped down to +3 station.

My mom and sister had arrived from the Okanagan shortly before they broke my waters and the room was full of pretty much everyone we loved. I don't think my water had been broken for more than 15 minutes and I was asking (or screaming and swearing) for an epidural. I was screaming, crying, and freaking out. I was given the gas which I'm still convinced never worked, but it didn't make any difference. Everyone was trying to talk me out of the epidural because that's what I told them to do, but I was losing my mind. The doctor kicked everyone (except C) out of the room and made sure that this was what I wanted. I assured her that I needed it or I would die (obviously, ha!) and so she called for the Anesthesiologist. In the time it took him to arrive I went from 6-10cms and when he walked in the door I was getting ready to push - it was already too late.

I started pushing just before 10pm and I'm fairly certain if I hadn't already woke up the entire hospital with my "crazy girl" screaming and crying, they were up now. I pushed and and pushed and pushed for what seemed like forever. When 12am rolled around, I was still pushing...

2 comments:

Chantal said...

I love this! Makes me remember waiting and waiting and getting frustrated on your behalf that there was no baby yet! I still remember your updates via L!

The Tompkins Family said...

You are such a trooper for the marathon labour. Just think...I shaved 36 hours off my time with Presley!