Tuesday, January 4, 2011

{Take Them While I Can Get Them}

So as you all know when I was pregnant we referred to H as "Baby Dragon". When she was born we quickly realized that this perfect little princess was not a dragon at all! She was such a good baby.. sleeping great [minus a few mixed up days and night], eating great, gaining weight like a champ! She loved everyone. She was happy and content to sleep in her bassinet, to hang out in her swing, or to just chill in the crib while mom tidied up.
This is our precious little princess 

They say colic sets in at 4-5 weeks. That your baby can be a perfect little angel and then over night turns into this fussy, crabby, gassy, SCREAMING child. Now, I don't know if H is colicky, per say, but she is a very high needs baby. We hit 4 weeks and it was like somebody flicked a switch - my perfect little princess transformed into the dragon we knew and loved so much in my belly.

In the past couple weeks H has decided she doesn't like anything except being held. And by held, I mean rocked, bounced, walked, swayed, at patted. She hates her carseat, unless you swing it constantly, she hates her swing - which I don't understand because IT SWINGS!, and she hates her bounce chair. She refuses to sleep anywhere but in our bed, in my arms or on my chest. If she's awake, she's fussing, and if she wants something, she's screaming. 
This is our darling dragon

I know her tummy bothers her and so we have switched her formula to a Lactose-Free formula and it's helping but she's still uncomfortable a lot of the time and I'm sure that is the main cause of her fussiness.. unfortunately we cannot find anything to fix it. Luckily, she sleeps like a dream at night - if she didn't I think I would have a lot harder time dealing with her fussiness in the day. Because I get a good sleep [most of the time] I just try and breathe and get through it one screaming fit at a time.

Sometimes I get exhausted holding her 24/7 and doing everything one-handed but then I think about how in a year I'm going to be looking at my baby, who is so big and trying her hardest to be independent, and I'm going to miss this baby and the snuggles I used to get - I may as well take them well I can get them, regardless of the reasoning. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once a baby dragon, always a baby dragon, LOL. And snuggles are always awesome, even from a screaming dragon. :) You're doing awesome, Danielle.

The Tompkins Family said...

The best thing about colic is that it goes away!

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Gripe Water. I am sure you tried it, but you have to get the stuff from Super Store that has alcohol. I know this may sound bad but it works!

Anonymous said...

I put Bree on Soy formula and that helped the fussiness. Bree was a high-needs baby as far as sleeping was concerned, but other than that she was great after switching.
You're doing great, and yes, just breathe through each episode because of exactly what you said...every moment is yours together, and their infancy is so short-lived.
Try putting her in the Snuggli (sp?) once she's a bit bigger and she will let you have both hands back to do chores, dance with her, etc., and she will be content against your body.
I love you both and hope this gets easier for you :) Love Laura