Monday, March 7, 2011

{Bedtime Do-over}

H and I had a pretty busy day! We had a visit with M and her posse of children (though half were napping), a quick visit with Gramma J, dinner and The Bachelor with K, and then we went to Uncle R's hockey game. It was a playoff game and I don't get to watch him very often so I was happy that we could be there. C made it from work just in time to watch the last 5 minutes. They lost, but it was still fun to watch and I'm happy we did.

R's game didn't end until 820 and H is usually bathed, massaged, fed, rocked, storied and in bed sleeping by 830 at the very latest, but usually 8. This is the first time we've been late for bedtime since we started our routine almost 3 weeks ago. When we got home and I figured because she was already sleepy I would skip bath time. I changed her and fed, rocked, and storied her - as per usual. I put her in her crib at exactly 9pm and climbed into bed. at 1015 she was still not sleeping. We had attempted the soother re-insertion a few times but she soon went from talking, to fussing, to crying. She hasn't objected to bedtime in what seems like forever!!

I called a "bedtime do-over". C took her out of her crib and she had this smug look on her face. She held her head high and was smiling and looking around everywhere. I ran a bath, she swam, laughed, smiled, drank some water... she got her hair blow-dryed, her massage in front of the heater, a fresh diaper and a tummy top up. I put her in her crib and within 3 minutes, she was sleeping. 

Turns out altering the routine is NOT okay.

I am never missing bedtime again.
That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor H. Poor Mumma. I love that you blow dry her hair. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's funny that you blow dry her hair. We just towel and air dry lol :) It's dry in like 5 minutes, even though he has tons :P

The Tompkins Family said...

I've never even blowdried Sammy's hair and it's almost longer than mine...I should try it and see what she thinks!